If your fleet of marine electronics is growing to be obsolete, there’s no need to make haphazard decisions. It’s time to be very informed of what each marine electronic equipment denotes on your boat. Only then you’ll be able to fulfill your purpose to its best with optimum utilization of resources.
The last thing a mariner would want is any shortcoming in the fleet of equipment. And, the second last thing they would want is to spend more than what is ever needed. So, it’s important to first determine your requirements and then go for equipment shopping from a reputed boat electronics vendor.
The article will help you categorize your marine electronics and navigation equipment into basic, well-equipped and advanced. For your convenience, we have categorized boaters according to their requirements and then the equipment according to the areas of assistance.
Offshore Anglers row well out of sight of the shore and for them, navigation and safety are the utmost matters of concern. Their equipment list has the following characteristics.
- Basic equipment include a chart plotter and handheld backup to find a way back to the starting point in emergencies or otherwise. Emergency signaling is also a necessity. Other essential equipment includes VHF equipped radio beyond cell range and a basic fish finder unit.
- The offshore angler boat will be called well-equipped when it has an autopilot, infrared cameras, satellite weather, radar, a mid-level fish finder, etc. All these equipment make the experience more convenient and safe.
- An advanced boat of an offshore angular will have gyroscope binoculars, high-end fishfinder units, a multi-function display, remote control infrared camera, and advanced radars.
Watersport fans row on the most specialized boats for speeding and adventure purposes. Here are a few equipment to match those needs.
- The basic equipment will include a VHF radio that allows them to keep in touch with the authorities. The depth detector so that they can operate in their preferred waters. A GPS speedometer and a basic stereo with an FM will do the basic tasks.
- If you want the boat to be well equipped, the boat should have a mid-range stereo system with an electronic speed detector to control performance. The stereo should be able to connect with Bluetooth.
- The advanced boat will include an advanced electronic speed detector, a high-end stereo, and accent lighting to improve the experience in the water.
Cruisers need a considerable safety margin along with advanced navigation to meet long-haul duties. A basic entertainment system will also be pleasant for them. Here are the details.
- The basic equipment fleet includes a VHF radio, a chartplotter, a basic entertainment system, and a depth detector. It should also have PLB to get in touch with the Coast guard if anything goes wrong.
- A well-equipped boat of a cruiser should have a handheld VHF, autopilot, an emergency signaling device, and a basic radar. An MFD with internet capabilities, a moderate entertainment center, and an instrument system also come in a well-equipped cruiser boat.
- An advanced boat of a cruiser will have an SSB radio which is an advanced version of VHF. An infrared camera with remote control gyroscope binoculars and a satellite weather system. The multi-function display should also be loaded with advanced features.
The primary purpose is to find more fish and inshore anglers require similar communication and navigational needs as cruisers. The equipment matching their needs are as follows.
- The basics are all the same as the cruisers. Just add a reasonable fish finder unit with a transom mount and a transducer.
- A well equipped freshwater angler boat must include a fixed mount VHF radio, a moderate chartplotter and a high-end fish finder unit. Also, it must have an onboard battery charger for the electronic trolling motor.
- An advanced boat will include a satellite weather detector, a satellite messenger, an advanced fish finder unit with imager combo, a multi-function display with loaded features and Inland cartography.
We hope that you can categorize your requirements on the basis of the above-mentioned points and accordingly find your equipment fleet for the best fulfillment of the purpose.