Being selfish is often associated with the negative traits of an individual. Sure, it doesn’t feel like a compliment, but Matthew Davies feels that it can make you happier in certain situations. There is a good chance that you do not wish to be categorized as a selfish individual, but the key is to embrace the healthy side of selfishness.
Here are some reasons why being selfish is not necessarily bad:
- It paves the way to a healthier you – Selfish people are more self-focused and therefore tend to take better care of themselves. According to their psyche, instead of giving away too much time and energy in the course of catering to the needs of others, it is better to carve out time for themselves. After work, they focus on their well-being by exercising, eating well, and enjoy a quality personal time. Shouldering the responsibilities of your personal or physical needs is important for every individual.
- A happy mind within a happy body – It is not only physical health that matters, but mental well-being is also equally important. A person can spread happiness only when he is happy. If you enjoy doing activities that you love to do in your spare time, you are an emotionally satiated person. That goes a long way in being positive and being able to focus well on other things. A person who is not happy spreads negativity not only to himself but to others as well.
- The survival of the fittest – When you project yourself as a responsible person who is healthy, happy, grounded, and very much in charge of himself, you portray a positive picture of yourself. This gives you an edge over others in being assigned leadership roles, as you are a depiction of a person who is unlikely to give up on goals. Self-focused people are more confident and are known to have a better drive to succeed. Thus, being selfish is a critical aspect because you can take care of others only when you can take care of yourself.
- A better relationship status – If you are selfish, you tend to be focused more on your immediate family. This means having quality time for your partner, spouse, or kids. The society at large does not meddle in your affairs as you have set a boundary for yourself. This means people will have a harder time manipulating or taking advantage of you. The ability to say no to others paves the way to your happiness. Selfish is not an ugly word unless it means being unkind to others.
- Redefining your self-worth – Once you’ve decided to shift your focus inward, you will have more time to think and plan for yourself. Why should you take a backseat for yourself and think of fending for others at your expense? Refreshing your perspective about selfishness might mean a better and stronger you.
Matthew Davies believes it is not always necessary to try to please others to gain their acceptance or even compliments. It is instead better to truly accept yourself and prioritize your own happiness.