In general, people think that oral surgery needs a hospital surrounding, anesthesia and takes more than one day for recovery from this treatment. So, most of them are not willing to go to the dental hospital but by knowing what does it mean and how it takes place can ease the fear of patients.Oral surgery involves many surgical procedures such as dental implants, extraction of the tooth, jaw surgery, and more.
- Orthognathic surgery
Corrective jaw surgery is the well-known term for orthognathic surgery that is used to correct any dental and skeletal irregularities. After the surgery, the improvements can be observed while speaking, breathing and chewing.
Some of the reasons that indicate the need of this surgery are listed below.
- Difficulty in chewing, biting food or swallowing
- Temporomandibular joint pain
- Dysfunction or deformation caused by trauma
- Incorrect bite or malocclusion
- Grinding of the teeth and clenching
- Excessive tooth wear
- Unbalanced appearance of the face from the side or front
If the person experiences any one of these problems, then the professional will suggest the jaw surgery.
- Extraction of tooth
Tooth extraction is the process of removing the tooth from its socket and it was done only when the tooth is damaged severely. It is the most accepted form of oral surgery and some factors for tooth extraction are:
- To achieve the maximum result during the orthodontic treatment, some of the tooth may require removing in order to reduce crowding.
- Partially or impacted erupted wisdom tooth
- If the primary teeth have not fall out and it blocks the growth of permanent teeth, then that tooth have to be removed.
- Severely damaged teeth because of any trauma, root fracture or tooth decay.
- Dental Implant Procedure
Dental implants are defined as the procedure to replace the missing teeth with the new prosthetic teeth or also to provide firmness to the existing or new denture. The method or procedure for replacing a tooth may vary that depends upon the technique followed by the surgeon or dentist and also changed by the type of implant used. It was also similar to the tooth extraction procedure and the recovery may have happened within a week.
Observation and treatment
Professionals are trained to identify oral cancer because the symptoms of this disease are not easily visible and it is difficult to detect the disease. Oral Surgeons Wellington offers the excellent wide range of oral medical services to the people and it provides the pleasant experience to the users.
If any suspicious symptoms are observed in the area of mouth, jaw, neck or face, then a biopsy can be performed to diagnose the further possible condition. Generally, a biopsy is the surgical procedure where a piece of the suspected tissue in the body is removed for further medical test processes. Most of the cases this biopsy will be done by the surgeon, but in few cases, it may be carried out by the general dentist.