Today we use too much plastic. To remedy this, it is simple to replace the plastic cling film with beeswax wrapping. Stop plastic packaging! In our kitchens, there is an ecological, natural and zero waste solution to replace plastic cling film: washable and waterproofed beeswax packaging. In this spirit of zero waste, beeswax cling film is the new trend to adopt. We tell you all about this new concept.
How to use it?
There are on average 3 sizes suitable for different sizes of containers or food. Here are some examples of use:
- Like a lid: shape the edges with your hands, the beeswax film hugs the edges like a lid;
- Like a second skin: directly wrap cut fruits and vegetables or snacks like a sandwich or cake;
- Like a sachet: some brands sell beeswax sachets to put products in bulk
Zero waste in the kitchen?
Tips for better consuming!
- Buy in bulk and store in glass jars;
- Make or buy fabric bags for shopping;
- Reduce food waste;
- Install a compost drawer;
- Manufacture its cleaning products;
- Replace the paper towel with absorbent rags.
What foods to pack?
Of course, you can wrap up leftovers from a meal, cover with cheese, a halved fruit or vegetable, store cooked meat, or even freeze food for a short time (less than one). You can make your own reusable packaging with beeswax, in the oven or with an iron for a healthy, ecological and zero waste picnics. The beeswax wraps can be of great value there.
Make Beeswax Wrap Yourself
To make beeswax food packaging yourself, all you need is beeswax, a piece of fabric, a button and a piece of string. Lightweight, waterproof, ecological, economical and zero waste, the beeswax packaging is ideal for replacing the lunch box, aluminum foil, cellophane or disposable bag. It preserves food and protects it during transport. It’s even better when everything is homemade.
Preparation time: around 30 minutes. You can use the oven method or, easier and faster, with an iron.
Clean fabric. You can recover an old napkin; a dish towel any fairly thin, heat-resistant fabric is fine. We obviously avoid fabrics that would have been used with substances dangerous to health (cleaning or DIY products for example) or dyes harmful to health. It is also thought to wash the fabric before impregnating it. The top remains natural fibers such as cotton or hemp, ideally organic.
- You can also prefer it organic. You can buy it in shavings or in blocks that you grate.
- A baking sheet to slide the fabric into the oven (oven method).
- Baking paper to protect the baking sheet and oven / ironing board and iron from molten wax. It should be larger than the fabric.
- String long enough to roll up the package and keep it closed.
- A button with thread and a needle for attaching and winding the string.
The rectangle is the ideal shape. The fabric must be large enough and have edges wide enough to completely surround the food you want to wrap. It must also respect the dimensions of your oven. You can make small packaging to transport cookies, fruit or large packaging, for a baguette sandwich for example, count 32x45cm.