Did you know that an average teenager spends around 6 hours and 40 minutes in front of the screen, which can be a television, laptop, mobile phones, computer, etc? This leaves our eyes bombarded with radiations that can impact the vision and eyesight. Hence, its always advisable to go for an eye checkup. This involves getting the eyesight check, going for vision correction methods like lenses or prescription glasses. In either of the cases, you would need to consult optometrists. These are the professionals who are certified to carry on the eye-checkup and suggest necessary rectification.
Who Is An Optometrist, An Overview?
Optometrists are the protector of human eyes. In other words, they diagnose the disorders and other problems related to the eyes. They are self-sustaining specialists. If you are having disease or disorders related to the eyes and other visual problem, then optometrists are your best bet. They were also known as ophthalmic opticians. They perform all of the eyes and visual treatment except they don’t do surgery. Generally, they work and operate in the hospitals, ophthalmic industry, clinics, research projects, teaching institution. But in most of the cases, an optometrist works in clinical practice, health centers, and hospitals.
The Significant Role Of Optometrists
The Optometrists Treat Human Organism With Carefully And Attentively. They Perform Very Well.
- In order to treat a patient’s eye problems at first, they arrange a few eye examinations for the patients. The patient has to appear for the eye test. The results of the test help the optometrists to diagnose the problem properly.
- The optometrists also ask for the past eye medical records of the patient.
- Then by all of these results, they check if the patient’s eyes have refractive errors or not. Then the optometrist sets up a visual ability test for the patients where the eyesight of the patient is examined.
Work functions performed by an optometrist
To check the eye disorder and other errors, an optometrist performs the role as follows.
- The eye test and check for vision concern- They use the instrument ophthalmoscope to detect if the eyes have severe problems like macular degeneration, glaucoma, and other diseases. In addition to regular eye checkup, they also check previous medical records like diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- They may also prescribe medicines or topical treatment if required- Then after the proper eye and visual evaluation of the patients, the optometrists prescribe medicines. Most of the medicines are the topical forms of pharmaceutical drugs. The optometrist prescribes antibiotics, no steroidal anti-inflammatory, antihistamines, analgesics. Some of the optometrists from different places of the world can advise the oral form of the drugs to the patients.
- Visions correction and recommending lenses or prescription glasses based on eye test- An optometrist has to get the independent prescribing certification and after the certification is complete then they can take the authority to prescribe all of the drugs except the injectable one.
- Some optometrists are even professional and an expert in handling the lenses. That means if the eye contact lens of the patient is not in normal shape then the optometrist can put the lenses in an actual place.
These are the vital roles of the optometrist to perform the best eye treatment and become the savior of the eyes.
With such an important role to play, it becomes important that you need to choose an optometrist carefully. Don’t forget to check their certification and experience. Both these parameters authenticate their working and also helps in building trust on optometrists.