“Weddings are Important because they celebrate life and possibility”
No doubt, choosing wedding venues in Sydney is a challenging task; however your problems don’t end there, the next important thing to do is to decide what food to serve the guests. Gone were the days when couples only had to choose between sit down dinner or a buffet.
Nowadays, there are so many options to consider such as mini food stations, family-style dinners, food trucks and cocktail style receptions, just to name a few.
Confused about what to serve or looking for budget-friendly wedding ideas in Sydney? A reliable wedding directory like Different Weddings can help.
For now, here are some scrumptious reception meal style and wedding food ideas. Read on to know what the right option for your reception is.
- Sit-Down Dinner
A sit-down dinner is the most cost-effective meal style option to serve at your reception. Sit down dinner parties are more formal and more elegant. Guests are usually offered a appetiser, main course, and dessert, plus they have a choice of protein for the entrée like beef chicken or fish.
- A sit down dinner is the best choice for a smaller assembly of the family.
- Your guests feel more welcomed and taken care of.
- This choice gives family and friends a chance to spread out activities like dances and toasts. And speeches to congratulate the couple.
- If you don’t have a large space to set the table, then your guests might not get the freedom to move after eating.
- A lot of chinaware, cutlery and matching glasses will be required.
- Without professional help, it will be time-consuming for you to set up and clean up.
- Food options are limited.
- Buffet Dinner
Buffet Dinners are a more expensive meal style option to serve at your wedding reception. But they are more casual and suitable when your guest list is very long. Buffet style dinners allow your guests to interact with each other and at the same time to feel relaxed and enjoy the food.
- Buffet dinners provide a more relaxed atmosphere and promote mingling
- No fancy tableware or pricey chinaware is needed, serviettes or paper plates will do the job!
- Provide a variety of choices to guests.
- Guests have to carry their own plates and serve themselves, which can be pretty messy.
- You might also end up renting serving pipes, chafing dishes and linens if your caterer doesn’t provide them.
- Buffet dinners require large quantities of food.
- Food Stations
Food stations are very popular these days, whether your guests serve themselves or it is chef-attended. They are also a perfect way to include a theme into your food.
- They are more creative and have that wow factor.
- Variety of dishes available.
- Because the stations are spread all over the place, guests do not have to wait in line.
- Promotes interaction among guests.
- Food stations require extra space
- If you have interactive stations like carving, pasta stations etc, you will also need more chefs which means staff costs can go up.
- Family Style Dinner
A family style dinner is less formal than a sit-down dinner, yet more formal than a buffet dinner. Essentially waiters will bring the food to the table, allowing guests to serve their own plates.
- Encourages your guests to interact and creates a warm, inviting atmosphere.
- Guests can enjoy as much or little of each dish they would like.
- The mealtime is more efficient.
- Requires a lot of space on your dinner tables for the various dishes and platters.
- May increase your budget for rental items and food.
- Cocktail Style
If your wedding is during dinner time, you can go for heavier food choices to make sure your guests have enough to eat. You can go for pork sliders with a miniature craft beer or bruschetta with parmesan cheese and fresh tomato.
- Variety of food options.
- Promotes interaction and mingling among guests.
- Affordable as you won’t be serving the main or entrée
- Guests will drink more at a dinner reception, which means your liquor costs may increase.
- Lacks tradition
- Since most guests won’t be seated, some people might struggle with getting food and holding a drink.
- Food Trucks
Nowadays people are fascinated with food trucks, they are a cheap and modern alternative to an extravagant sit down dinner or a common place buffet. Food trucks are the perfect option for outdoor receptions and are a great way to get fresh, special, unique food.
- A number of food options available to meet your needs.
- Offer a great amount of flexibility.
- Economical option
- You might have to rent your own chairs and tables, depending on your venue.