There is no doubt that mobility assistive devices have made lives immensely better for those whose mobility has been impaired by old age, disease, or other reasons such as accidents. Such devices such as canes, walkers, power chairs, Pool lifts Perth, platform lifts, mobility lifts Perth, etc. have become quite popular thanks to their benefits, ease of use and versatility.
However, when buying a particular mobility equipment, it is important to consider both the advantages and disadvantages of the device being purchased. Experienced technicians from professional companies that sell such assistive devices can help in guiding which equipment and model will best suit your needs.
Here are some pros and cons of platform lifts Perth:
- Doesn’t require a pit – which means that this lift can be installed directly on the floor and doesn’t require excavation thereby reducing costs.
- Doesn’t require separate machine room – This is because the control system of the lift is a part of the shaft and hence, it doesn’t require creating a separate machine room.
- Doesn’t require a lift car – unless you need speeds higher than 0.15m/s, you can choose a platform lift without a lift car and save considerable amount of money.
- Requires very little head room of only 2.3m if you don’t need a lift with an enclosed car.
- Inbuilt safety features – most of the modern platform lifts come with a number of different safety features such as limited speed, hold-to-run type control system, and the option of stopping the lift by touching the far edges of the platform. Some models also have additional safety features such as an emergency stop, alarm and auto-dial emergency telephone.
- Among the main demerits of a platform lift is its initial setup and installation cost, which can be prohibitive to many people.
- Also, removing the installed lift later for any reason also requires help of an expert, which again adds to the expenditure.
Despite the cost, platform lifts Perth have become quite popular in the last several years due to their benefits.
Apart from these lifts, mobility scooters Perth are another type of popular mobility equipment, and below we list some of its main pros and cons:
- Increase in freedom to cover longer distances inside and outside homes without creating exertion.
- Decreases the risk of falls and related injuries.
- Provides the option of carrying a few extra small bags to help with daily chores such as light shopping across the neighbourhood, etc.
- However, one of the main disadvantages of smaller scooters is that they are not very stable, especially for heavy riders.
- Require training – using a mobility scooter may not be so easy for certain aged people unless they are trained properly.