Java is often a default choice for most of the mobile applications especially scientific apps that make use of natural language processing. Java is platform independent and can run on any machine as long as Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is installed on it.
Java is suitable for big enterprise applications used in banks, retail outlets, e-commerce apps, insurance companies, utility payment apps, manufacturing company apps etc.
As the technology fauvists juxtapose strong trends in development, from open-source, peer-to-peer, and embedded to wireless and for the trending mobile applications, Java has been the most popular programming language in the world of mobile application development, with the highest rating of 16.746 percent, according to the Tiobe index until end of 2018!
What Makes Java Win: A Retrospective
Java has never disagreed with any of the programming counterparts. Rather, when it needs to disagree with any of them, it has given a step-up to many of the lightweight programming platforms as Eclipse, Java Development Kit (JDK), the Oracle JDeveloper and many other Open Source Applications.
Besides all the hype and humor, there are some quintessential trends in Java that made a breakthrough in mobile application development and has made it most sought after language in mobile app development:
- The Emergence of EE4J and MicroProfile Projects
Projects like EE4J and MicroProfile have strengthened the Eclipse Foundation, thus making Java EE and Spring technologies flourish.
- Emergence and Rise of Kotlin
Kotlin is a JVM compatible programming language that is preferred by the Java community because of its concise coding syntax and interoperability with Java. It supports Android and is thus an additional advantage for mobile application development.
- The release of OpenJDK 10 and Java SE 6 updates
Updates of Java SE 6 will bring code restores via the Java SE Support program and Solaris 10’s recommended Patchset Cluster.
- The configuration of Applications with Containers and Java Runtimes
Collection framework has been upgraded with the use of containers and Java runtimes. This has offered a seamless configuration of Java applications along with consistent memory management.
- Six months of the release cycle
Java now follows a six-month update interval. This is helpful in frequent iterations and faster feature updates and subsequent bug fixes into Java applications.
- Continued Evolution: Java has continued to evolve and will be trending following the release of Java SE 10 in close coordination with OpenJDK Community.
- Embedded Java Applications: Java development companies will promote Real-time Java applications for embedded use where predictable execution takes precedence over other system attributes, such as speed, bandwidth, and payload carrying capacity.
- Future of Web Service Development: Introduction of Project Juxtapose will influence standards that will govern future Web Services development.
- Effect on Popular Programming Languages: Java has always been the core and has received widespread attention from the community. Python, PHP, and PERL are a few languages that have implemented core Java principles.
- Development of wireless applications: It is challenging to develop wireless Java applications (both Local and Network applications) as they are developed on one platform (Solaris or MS Windows) but deployed on a completely different platform (like a cell phone or PDA). Testing of application is now easy according to the live wireless network.
- Growing Demand of Java Developers: With statistically typed nature, backward compatibility and code-reusability, portability – Java is sure to give rich dividends in the long run and thus accounts for the rise in demand of Java developers.
- Mobile Application Development in 2019: With emerging industries, and need to have a dedicated mobile app for business (individual or enterprise), the need to have mobile app development has increased. Moreover, there is an increasing need to have IoT enabled applications with all the advanced features.
- Introduction to Reactive Programming: RxJava technology that comes with Java is an added advantage to handle large volumes of data encountered by big enterprises. This as well increases the computing power in the business applications and facilitates the creation of concurrent, asynchronous and resilient Java applications.
- Implementation of Java in Data science
Java is applicable to create large data processing applications, integrating seamlessly with data science codes.
- Serverless Architecture – A Move From Microservices
Java applications are now scalable with the adoption of server-less architecture. A gentle move from micro-services, it allows altering the components independently.
A cross-platform framework to build applications Java Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME or J2ME) runs across all Java supported devices, including feature phones and smartphones. It is the basic scripting language for the most popular mobile operating system Android, using the Android Software Development Kit (SDK). Furthermore, Java is as well used to develop – Desktop GUI Applications and Embedded Systems. Java supports web applications through Servlets, Struts or JSP’s. easy to program and high on security, it enables development of large size government applications for health, social security, education, and insurance apps, e-commerce web applications using open-source e-commerce platforms, such as Broadleaf.
Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) provides an API and runtime environment for scripting and running enterprise software, which also includes network applications and web services.
Java is a popular choice of many top Indian mobile app developers for writing applications that involve scientific calculations and mathematical operations. These programs are generally considered to be fast and secure. These are portable and maintainable. Scientific applications like MATLAB make use of Java both for interacting user interface and as part of the core system.