Project management is one of the leading economic sectors in the market right now due to the abundance of the project offered to be completed by companies. Like every other job sector, Project management has its own set of roles, responsibilities and skills possessed by its practitioners. It consists of many job positions where roles, responsibilities and skills required for each one of them is different. They all could connect together to form a Professional Project Management Team.
- SPONSORS- Senior most members of any organization of programs as they are the ones that help in the financing of the program.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Sponsor:
- Studying the business case and mandates to authorize any program
- Your interest would be represented by an appointed Senior Responsible Owner (SRO).
- Authorisation and approving of funds for any program
- Resolve issues regarding strategies and cross-program alongside senior stakeholders.
- Approval of program progress, keeping a keen eye on the objectives and strategies of the organization
- Showing visible support towards the management team and the project they are involved in.
- Ensure signs-off and delivery success at the end of the program.
Skills Demonstrated by the Sponsor:
- A senior member in the organisation who possesses deep knowledge about the functioning of the business
- His or her position in the organization must be highly credible.
- He or she must possess highly commendable entrepreneurial skills.
- He or she must possess mist to have a clearer vision regarding the strategy.
SRO or Senior Responsible Owner – The representative of the Sponsors who keeps an eye on the project to ensure meeting of the objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities of SRO
- They hold the money obtained from sponsors.
- Overlook the program to ensure successful completion of it.
- Management of the strategic risks that might prove lethal later
- They maintain the strategic alignment between the organization and the program.
- They maintain a viable guard on the business case and its vision.
- They deal with the senior stakeholders.
Skills Demonstrated by the SRO:
- He or she must be able to take critical decisions.
- They should possess leadership skills.
- They help in retaining the focus over objects that are strategically involved in the program.
Program Manager- Deals with governance and planning of any project activities and ensuring the successful delivery of any product obtained by the program. Project management skills and experience are what help them flourish.
Roles and Responsibilities of Program Manager
- Thorough project management throughout the life cycle of any program
- Controlling the activities taking place in programs.
- Progress monitoring and overall program planning
- Budget management of the program.
- Issue and risk management by taking measures for their correction
- Interdependence and coordination of many projects
- Resource utilisation and management throughout the projects
- Maintain communications with the stakeholders.
- Management of primary program documents like the initiation document of any program
Skills Demonstrated by Project Managers:
- Must possess strong knowledge on handling a project, methodologies and techniques of program management.
- Work positively as it team with many individuals who are involved in the management of any project.
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Proper procedure of resource allocation and knowledge regarding budgeting
- Capability to resolve problems innovatively.
Project Management Office or PMO – A collection of project management professionals working towards a common goal as a team. It consists of a project manager, project support and other team members.
Roles and Responsibilities of PMO:
- Program managing by the aid of managing standards and tools
- Report the outcomes and outputs after planning and tracking of any program.
- Logistics and information management.
- Tracking and planning finance.
- Track the issues and risks in the project.
- Management of cross-project independence.
- Implementation and setting up of standards to control quality and tracking them
- Procedures to track change control
- Communication planning and execution with the stakeholders or sponsors
- Constant reporting of strategic overviews to higher management authority
- Provide consultancy on project
- Train the management team involved in certain projects or programs
Skills Demonstrated by PMO:
- Efficient management of the project with a long experience
- A strong point in the project management team
- Proficient project and program management methodologies
- Practical implementation of theoretical knowledge.
- A clear problem-solving method or path even in the time of chaos
- I possess strong inter and intrapersonal communication skills.
Here are all the things you need to know about project management. Now you have knowledge about the various jobs along with the skills roles and responsibilities that they involve.