Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Audit assesses whether the website is SEO friendly and what issues have to be improved. It ensures that site is well optimized to all the changes that are taking place in the industry. SEO Audit includes technical, on-page, off-page, competitive and keyword research analysis.
The Customer Success Manager of Semalt Digital Services, Jack Miller explains what is SEO audit, how to run it and why it is essential for the website’s promotion.
The Importance of SEO Audit
As soon as Google is constantly updating ranking algorithms and content requirements, businesses need to response to this changes quickly in order to stay competitive. Audit analysis allows you to increase site visits and assist in keeping up with the pace of industry’s development. It also comes in handy when you are about to launch a new project.
- Accessibility Websites must have content and search engines should have an access to it. Is you fail with this step, search engine will not be able to crawling your content, which will negatively affect ranking. However, Robots.txt tool can easily fix such a problem by pinpointing any pages that were blocked from crawling. It also included is an investigation of HTTP status codes. In the case of canonicalization (page duplication), technical analysis helps to redirect duplicated pages to the original one. All pages should be interlinked to ensure that no one remains isolated so crawling will not skip them.
- Indexation Checking accessibility ensures that search engines find the content. An increased number of pages found indexed in the content increases site’s rating, which improves the status on an engine’s queue.
- Site Performance Speed has an utmost importance as most people will not wait for the page to load if it takes long especially with a slower internet connection. It affects the number of viewer visits.
Carrying Out SEO Audit
There are two ways to conduct SEO Audit for a website.
SEO specialists, like our agency, conduct in-depth investigation using tools and applications. Exploring every aspect of the site, they prepare a report stating all the issues they found, and provide the suggestions on how to alleviate the problem.
Automated tools for SEO Audit
There are certain tools for conducting SEO audit. They are time-consuming, so it requires patience, accuracy, and strategic thinking. This option is only for self-confident individuals with strong technical skills.
Tools for Technical Audit
- Screaming Frog or Xenu They check the number of indexed pages, detect canonicalization, internal redirects, and duplication.
- IIS SEO Toolkit It analyzes the accessibility of a site and recommends how to make it more engine-friendly.
- Semalt Digital Services The experts analyze both technical and content aspects of your site’s SEO performance, provide you with the report and recommendations.
- Pingdom DNS Check Helps with crawl errors, DNS health, and troubleshooting DNS server setup..
- Builtwit Checks the architecture of a domain and reports on the structural issues related to SEO.
- GTmetrix A tool that identifies elements that cause website’s slow loading. It also includes the speed history if used before.
- Google Webmaster Tools Identifies on-page issues, links and technical health of a website.
When conducting SEO audit of a website, make sure that all factors were considered. The complexity and coherent approach to carrying out the analysis are the key factors that cause the success of the audit. Drawing on the results of multifactorial analysis, you can develop the right SEO strategy for your further website promotion.