Proper maintenance of a car is important. A periodic checkup by a specialist is as important as a human being getting a regular check up by a doctor. Many people avert it so as to downsize the expenditure. This can pose danger to the lives seated in the car. Therefore a car servicing routine as laid down in the manufacturer’s service book is essential to boost your cars performance on the road without posing any danger to anyone. Choose the right specialist. With this, I mean if your car runs on automatic transmission instead of manual transmission, take your car to automatic transmission specialists for diagnosis and repairs.
Now, some important facts every car owner should know
- New cars too need car servicing
- Every new car has a warranty period and if the car is not serviced as per the manufacturer’s recommendations, the warranty clause becomes void.
- Since every car is designed differently, their servicing needs are also different. Generally, a car must be taken for servicing after every 10,000 to 15,000.
- Not using genuine parts can also make your warranty null and void.
Importance of car service: some benefits
Tyre life is bumped up: regular car service ensures that your tyres remain well-balanced and rotate properly. Sometimes the rear tyres are replaced with the front tyres and vice versa. This way the best tyres are always in the front.
Save on fuel: Cars are susceptible to natural wear and tear. These result in inefficiency and consume more time and fuel. Regular visit to a car mechanic ensures that the problems are addressed before they become significant.
Safe – you, your family and others: the one who is in the driver’s seat is responsible for the safety of everyone sitting in the car as well as the commuters on the road. Poor maintenance coupled with irregular car servicing can cause many valuable lives.
Unexpected breakdowns: a car is synonymous to a living body. In the absence of sufficient and clean essential fluids in the car, a breakdown is inevitable.
Maintains the resale value: a car with regular service history can be sold easily and fetch you a good resale value.
Besides the aforementioned, there are plenty of benefits that can be received by getting your car serviced at regular intervals.
Things included in a car service
A car service is a series of tests and checks done on your car to determine any faults and maintain your car in top driving form. A regular car services include:
- Engine oil and oil filter change
- Spark plug replacement
- Check Engine cooling fan
- Brake pad checks
- Check of windscreen condition and Windscreen washer fluid
- Top up battery, if required
- Coolant and antifreeze check and top up
- Attune handbrake (if required)
- Steering, suspension and mounting condition checked
- Replacement of all fluids and filters
- Check fuel cap condition
- Check lights
- Check seatbelts
- Check horn
- Lubrication of door hinges, locks and catches
- Corrosion checks and other via under-body inspection
- Wheel bearing check and re-fitting for noise
- Road test
- Service book stamped
In addition to the above mentioned (except for the manual transmission fluids), automatic transmission fluid level is checked and refilled in a car with automatic transmission.
Now that the cars have become complex machineries; it is advised that you visit a car mechanic Melbourne regularly or as is recommended in your car service book.
Keep yourself safe!