Smoked almonds are tastier than unsmoked ones. Smoking foods add a level of taste and aroma in all foods. The primary advantage of smoking food products is that it helps in preservation of food for future consumption. They help in preserving wastage food that may become useful in the future.
Smoking of foods (mainly meat and fish) goes back a long time in history. It is believed that indigenous people used smoke produced whilst drying fish to drive flies away. Previously, they used to hang meats to dry. They eventually found out that the smoke acted as a preservative for food as well. The meat stored in smoky areas also tasted better than that dried from the Sun.
Smoked Almonds Recipe with an Outdoor Smoker
Ingredients and Equipments
- Outdoor Smoker
- A Grilling Basket
- Probe-Style Thermometer
- Raw and Fresh Almonds (2 x 300g bags)
- Soy Sauce (2 teaspoons)
- Cooking Oil (2 teaspoon)
- Honey (few drops as per your choice)
- Garlic Powder (not more than 2–3 teaspoons)
Now, you are ready to make your own homemade smoked almonds.
- Take two 300 gram bags of almonds and mix it with garlic powder, soy sauce, salt and cooking oil. Basically, any type of cooking oil will be fine. Butter also goes well with it. Add other flavorings such as honey as per your need wish.
- Start your smoker and let it rise up to 120 F. Add your almonds into the grilling basket and spread the almonds evenly for maximum coverage.
- Place the grilling basket inside the smoker. Close the smoker and keep monitoring the temperature (110 F to 120 F) inside it for about 2 hours. Opening up the smoker time and again within the two hours to check in shall not be good as it drops the temperature inside the smoker.
- After two hours, open your smoker to serve your homemade smoked almonds.
It is best to enjoy them freshly prepared. Or you can store them in an air-tight container for future consumption.
Some variations that can be made in the mixture are oregano, maple syrup, cinnamon, hot sauce, curry powder, etc.
Craving for Smoked Almonds now?
In case you don’t happen to have an outside smoker, we have a backup option for you to prepare homemade smoked almonds.
Smoked Almonds Recipe without an Outdoor Smoker
To make delicious smoked almonds without smoker at your home, you will need the following ingredients:
- Egg white (1)
- Garlic powder (2 teaspoons)
- Celery salt (2 teaspoons)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Liquid Smoke Flavoring (1/2 teaspoon)
- Unblanched, toasted and cooled almonds (3 cups)
There are various other ways to prepare homemade smoked almonds as well. Among them this is one of the easiest methods.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg white until it becomes foamy. Add some garlic powder, celery salt, salt and liquid smoke in it and mix well. You can also add more flavorings such as honey, soy sauce, etc. as per your desire.
- Add the almonds and stir until the almonds are coated. Spread the almonds evenly in a baking pan coated with a non-stick cooking spray. A standard baking pan for this recipe would be 15 x 10 x 1 inches however, you can use as per your availability. But keep in mind that the almonds are spread evenly.
- Bake the almonds at 300 degrees F for about half an hour. Stir the almonds in every 8–10 minutes whilst baking.
- Let it cool after baking and store in an air-tight container.
Advantages and Benefits of Smoked Foods
The primary advantage of smoking foods is that it helps in preservation of food for longer period of time.
However there are other advantages of smoked foods as well which are:
- High temperature due to smoking kills and slows down growth of bacteria in food.
- Controls development of fat in food items. With time fats gradually become rancid which damages the quality (i.e. nutrients) as well as their smell.
- Enhances smell and taste. Smoking brings a unique smell and taste in food which many find mouthwatering.
- Change in color of food items after smoking makes it more appealing while serving.
- Smoking of foods is not an easy task which takes time and effort and sometimes help from friends or relatives as well. This indirectly helps in improving social interaction. Recent times have shown that many people enjoy preparing smoked foods whilst family or friend’s gatherings.
We can find various other positive sides of smoking as well. However, consumption of smoked products on a regular basis can result in development of cancer in your body. Obviously, smoked products bring a lot of advantages for us but we need to keep in mind about how much we consume it as well for our own health benefit.
With that all in mind, it is safe to say that we need to be careful about how we get our smoked food products and its consumption amount.