Salt is the most important ingredient in a kitchen used in almost every dish prepared. Without salt, many dishes lose their taste. Whether it’s frying, baking, grilling or boiling, you name it, salt is used at least in small amount in every dish. Salt also contributes to our daily Sodium intake. Sodium intake is essential in our body for metabolism, blood circulation, etc.
There are wide range of salts available nowadays in every corner of the world. There are Rock salts, Sea Salts and some Processed Salts as well. They all carry their respective importance in culinary and health aspects.
Smoked salts are popular among chefs and home-cooks nowadays. Smoked salts bring a unique smoky and salty combination of flavour in our foods. They come in handy mainly in Food Businesses to provide something new to the daily customers. They also help in gaining new customers contributing for a unique addition on the menu. When someone asks, “What should i add something extra or unique in my dishes?”, smoked salt is often the answer. Smoked Salt and Pepper is a popular combination used by many restaurants and food businesses in Australia.
Smoked Food products are quite popular in Australia. People want to try new dishes and new recipes. Smoking foods certainly falls into this category of something new. You can find smoked nuts, smoked cheese, smoked meats, smoked salts and so on in Australia. Smoking brings added combination of flavour and aroma in foods.
Smoked Salt is prepared by passing smoke produced from Wood fire over salt. It is great used over Meats, Barbecue, Fish, Fruits, Curry and so on. It can be easily used in place of your normal salts as well.
Baker and Baker Salts provides a range of smoked artisan salts inside Australia. Our products are naturally smoked and contains no unhealthy additives. There other quality salts as well in our store which you can explore and try as per your needs.
How to Smoke Salt at Home?
Smoking Salts is easy and you can definitely do it yourself.
Things you will need:
- 2 cups wood chips (soaked in cold water for 1 hour and afterwards drained)
- 2 cups salt (I prefer Snowflake Salts)
- Smoking grill
- Set up your smoking grill in way that half part is for heat (generating smoked) and other half for cool for the smoke to work.
- Put some coals in the hot side and toss the wood chips on it.
- Spread the salt on an Aluminium foiled pan and place it on the grate on the cool side.
- Start generating smoked from the coal and woodchips combination.
- Close the lids and venture some holes on the grill. Maintain the temperature to 350 F.
- Smoke for 1 hour and let the smoked salt to cool down in room temperature.
- Store in air-tight jar and use when needed.
Conclusion: This is how you smoke salt at home. If you want to save time and buy smoked salt right away, go to Smoked and Artisan Rock Salts.