Office 365 is a cloud-based subscription service offered by information technology company Microsoft Corp., which brings together the best tools for the way people work today. By combining best-in-class apps like Excel and Outlook with powerful cloud services like OneDrive and Microsoft Teams, Office 365 lets anyone create and share anywhere on any device. With shared features like OLE data integration and Visual Basic, and a common spell checker for Applications scripting language, MS Office applications have grown substantially closer over the years. Microsoft also produces and runs Office Online, a web-based version of core Office apps, which is included as part of a Microsoft account.
However, there are certain errors faced by users while using Microsoft Office. This article discusses few errors, their causes along with possible solutions for the errors.
The common error messages received by users when they start Microsoft Office Word are listed below:
- Run-time error.
- Subscript out of range.
- Compile error in hidden module module name.
- Visual basic error – object doesn’t support this property or method.
- Cannot display the template add in template is not valid template name.
- Word cannot open this document template template name.
- Module namecannot be found.
- Command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open.
- Cannot open this file file name.
- The file cannot be opened.
- The add-in template is not valid.
Certain errors occur because an add-in in one of the startup folders is not compatible with Word. The steps to identify the add-in that may be causing the behavior are given below:
Step 1: Quit all Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Microsoft Outlook.
Step 2: Open the following folder for depending on your version of Word.
- For Microsoft Office Word 2010:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Startup
- For Microsoft Office Word 2007:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Startup
- For Microsoft Office Word 2003:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup
- For Microsoft Word 2002:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup
- For Microsoft Word 2000:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup
Step 3: Move any files that are located in that folder to your desktop.
Step 4: Open the following folder:
Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
Step 5: Move any files that are located in that folder to your desktop.
Step 6: Restart Word.
Another common error is faced when you try installing Microsoft Office or run the program for the first time, you receive the following error messages:
- Outlook Express could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance. (0x800c012e)
- Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.
The steps torecover from Microsoft Office Startup Error are as follows: –
To remove the Windows Installer registry settings, run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility and then reinstall Office by following the given steps: –
- Download the Windows Installer CleanUp utility from Microsoft.
- Execute the program.
To use the Windows CleanUp utility, follow these steps: –
- Click Start, select Programs, and then select Windows Install Clean Up.
- Select the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- Click OK, and then click Exit.
- Run Office.com/Setup to reinstall Office.