Chelsea is a rich place of South West London, surrounded by the South side of River Thames. This area is administered by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The eastern boundary is included Chelsea Bridge road, the lower half of Sloane Street including Sloane Square. The front of this area starts with Chelsea Bridge along the Chelsea Embankment, Lots Road and Chelsea Harbour, and Cheyne Walk. If you want to explore this area, you can take Chelsea Taxi services and experience the whole beauty of this place.
Now let’s discuss some information about Chelsea that made this place unique from other areas. So let’s get started…
- Chelsea is famous for Saatchi Gallery and shopping. The revolutionary mini-skirts first introduced in Mary Quant’s shop Bazaar in the 60s.
- It was the center of London’s ‘swinging sixties’, especially known for Kings Road.
- Chelsea FC is founded in 1905. The ground is located at Stamford Bridge, A304, Fulham road. This place is widely known for its rich football background.
- This area is famous for Chelsea buns. It is a long strip of sweet dough. Also, Chelsea China, a first factory-made porcelain in England found here.
- Famous Chelsea and Westminster Hospital is located in A308, Fulham Road. This hospital is established in 1993.
- The Royal Hospital Chelsea is a famous prison cell, build for the prisoners. This building was built by King Charles II in 1682, and it was a grade 1 listed building. This building was used for the war veterans to come and rest. Nowadays, the prisoners on this building are easily recognized by their black three-corner hat and red jackets
- Chelsea first appeared as a fishing village. King Henry VIII had a riverside palace here in Tudor times. This area was later known by the residents of Oscar Wilde and Whistler.
- There are many famous people were born or lived in this area, such as flamboyant playwright, historian Thomas Carlyle, Oscar Wilde, singer Freddie Mercury, actor Sir Laurence Olivier, etc.
- In 1911, Michelin House launched the original UK headquarters in Chelsea for their Michelin Tyre Company.
- Chelsea is known for its exclusive residential areas and first associated carry out building surveys in Chelsea and its surrounding areas.
- In the seventies, Chelsea was the area where Vivienne Westwood’s popular Sex boutique was launched.
- Chelsea is an old English word. The meaning of this word is “landing place on the River Thames for chalk or limestone”.
Please let us know if this guide will help you to understand the area of Chelsea. Or if you have any question regarding this fact, please feel free to contact with us (One2one Cars). Chao!