It is very important to maintain safety and hygiene in the workplace. Hence, there should be emergency equipment to handle all the spillovers and waste of the place. Australia has taken a big step to ensure these safety measures through the establishment of Spill Station.
Spills are the most unhygienic substance that can have several adverse effects on the people working in the organization. The Spill Station Australia is focusing on the manufacture and supply of various protection systems. This aims at saving the environment as well as to maintain the safety of the workplace. The company is developing new products with every passing time. All these products have gained acceptance from hundreds of people, and their popularity is increasing drastically. The medical sector and laboratories have a maximum amount of spillage. Hence, special equipment for handling such waste is a crucial factor. We will be discussing over here about the spill kits that are essential for the medical sector.
Importance Of Spill Kits
Spill kits have a pivotal role to play, especially when your workplace has extensive exposure to hydrocarbons or any other hazardous chemical substances. These hazardous chemicals release harmful pollutants that can affect the surroundings as well as the environment adversely. Therefore, whenever there is a spill, it is the duty of every person present to clear it efficiently as soon as possible. The spill kit is designed in the most economical and efficient way to help in the cleanup efforts. Moreover, in some places, it is mandatory to have spill kits when the factory is dealing with main biohazards. The potentially dangerous fluids of all kinds can even cause deaths on the spot. Hence, cleaning the spills form a vital part to ensure the safety of so many lives.
This capable equipment come in varying sizes and colors, including a bag or container and absorbent materials to soak or absorb anything containing any spill or leak. The main utility of these spill kits is to provide security to the people working in the workplace, especially factories or laboratories. Moreover, you can also obtain several financial benefits from using these tools. There is no need to bear any extra expenditure for cleaning purposes repeatedly if you can invest in these products once. Thus, during the emergency spills, you will able to mitigate lots of expenses. Also, you can turn the workplace into a better and safer one that can ensure the safety of everybody present over here. Sometimes, some hazardous materials can damage the skin ultimately, or the end reaction can be a fatal one. To avoid such instances, a spill kit is a must in an organization.
Design of Spill Kits
The design of the spill kits can vary according to the purpose for which it is built. Due to this unique design, all the workers can feel safe while they are dealing with various spillages. All the contents of such kits can clean up the spills in the appropriate manner and also ensure safety for the persons who are involved in cleaning processes. There are some general features that you can observe in any type of spill kit. These are mentioned hereunder;-
- Biohazard bags
- Eye protection and masks or respirators
- Shoe covers
- Absorbents for handling the specific type of spill on the site
- Sharp containers to pick up broken glass or any sharp object
All the absorbents are not for the same purpose. Hence, they come with flexibility for absorbing the particular material that you are cleaning. Furthermore, the design of the kit will be absolutely suitable for the purpose for which you are using the same.
Types of Spill Kits
According to the nature of usage and the type of organization, there are various types of spill kits. However, there are five major categories in which we can divide these spill kits. These are;-
- General purpose spill kits
- Oil and fuel spill kits
- Hazchem spill kits
- Lab and medical spill kits
- Marine spill kits
Each of these spill kits is necessary to clean up the respective spills in distinctive workplaces. The general-purpose ones are for cleaning any type of spills containing non-hazardous substances. The ideal kit for cleaning the oil-based spills is the oil and fuel spill kit. The Hazchem ones are used for handling aggressive chemicals. Lab and medical spill kits, as the name suggests, are appropriate for cleaning the medical and hazardous lab wastes. The marine spill kits are for cleaning the spills generated from the ships and cargoes.
In this article, we will be concentrating more on the Lab and medical spill kit, which is the most crucial thing, keeping in view the current emergency situation.
Various Products of Lab and Medical Spill Kits
The Spill Station will supply the exact product that you will require for specific purposes. The company never compromises on the quality and deliver the best quality products as per the needs of the customers. In any case of any dispute, you are free to contact the company. They will replace the disputed item with a new one, thus providing complete assurance for their services.
There are different kinds of products that you can find in a lab and medical spill kit. Each one is specifically designed to carry the cleaning jobs in the most effective manner.
- Laboratory Spill Kit: This is a neutralizing kit for the labs. The brilliant design of the tool can absorb and neutralize most of the acids, hydrocarbons, other hazardous chemicals, and alkalis that are commonly found in the laboratory. However, this kit is not suitable for hydrofluoric acid. The multi-purpose absorbent powder present in it is one of the most appropriate things for biohazard absorption. There are warning signs and instructions for usage that you must go through before using the product. Also, it comes with the basic personal protection equipment, waste disposal bags, and many other necessary articles to ensure the safety of the user.
- Multi-Purpose Body Fluid Spill Kit: Body fluids of different persons can be the primary carriers of several germs. Some of them can be destructive in nature, or some can transmit easily. Hence, for the medical facilities, it is highly essential to clean these body fluids in the best way possible to keep the surroundings free from infections. Therefore, all healthcare professionals must ensure that they wear perfect PPE while dealing with such fluids. The multi-purpose body fluid spill kit by Spill Station can be the best product that you can get for any kind f fluids like vomit, urine, or blood. Mostly, these have extensive usage in hospitals, buses, and schools.
- Biohazard Spill Kit Pouch: As we mentioned earlier, body fluids may contain pathogens for hepatitis, HIV, or even SARS-Cov-2, causing COVID-19. A biohazard spill kit pouch can act as personal protection equipment that can minimize the risks of getting infected during the cleaning process. You can easily store the product in a concise space and can get the maximum protection for the cleaners.
- Sharps Clean Up Kit Bag: In labs bursting or cracking of glasses is a common phenomenon. However, most of the substances can be toxic in nature that can hamper your health while coming in direct contact. So, you must use appropriate protection while cleaning such a mess. This sharp clean up kit bag will provide you the medium to clean these sharp materials, and the fluids spilled over. The general contents of this bag include sharps disposable canister, disposable forceps, disposable gloves, sealing clinical waste bag, for picking up the sharp objects without any hassles.
- Alkali Spill Response Kit: You can find a wide variety of alkalis in the medical labs and clinics. This alkali spill response kit will work in an excellent way to provide high protection. Moreover, the package contains a super absorbent neutralizing polymer that indicates the presence of alkali by changing its color. Subsequently, after neutralizing the spills, it again changes the color for the second time and solidifies the same. Therefore, it becomes easier to collect disposals safely. However, the package comes with special disposable bags, personal protection equipment, and some other additional substances like organic vapor respirators for ensuring complete protection. Also, you should see the warning signs printed on it and check the instructions thoroughly before using the same.
There are many other varieties of lab and medical spill kits. However, the kits, as mentioned above, are the most common ones that the majority of the clinical establishments and laboratories prefer to use for a non-toxic, safe environment to work in. The Spill Station is the end solution when you are thinking of possessing all the necessary ingredients for providing proper protection against all the medical hazards and chemicals. Spilling of acid and chemicals cannot be avoided in a lab. Hence, to clean all these up in the most effective manner, the workers must require something efficient and safe. Thus, the spill kits are mandatory requirements for these medical establishments for protection of the environment against all hazards as well as save the persons working there.