Something as tiny as a key is not really paid much heed too, but when you lose it, you sure lose your mind. This is probably one of the reasons that it is suggested that you keep your keys in rings or easily visible and handler key chains to avoid losing them. One of the most common kinds of keys to be misplaced are filing cabinet keys. The reason being is that they are usually very small in size and are not given their due importance. If you lost your home or car or even office key, it would be a complete mess, but something like this is probably not in your safe keeping list. So you return to work the next day and cannot access an important file, because you have misplaced the key! It is only then that you wish that these keys were kept in a more organized way.
Now organizing and arranging these keys is really no herculean task, you just need to take out a few minutes from your day and pull these pieces together. What you will need for the same is-
- Paper or stickers, for the keys and naming the cabinets
- Pen for writing numbers
- A key chain, which can be numbered too
If you have multiple cabinets in your office, then not only will organizing these filing cabinets keys make life easier, it will also save you time in a rush. All that you have to do is just pick the right key number and the cabinet number and there you are! Here are some steps to help you get more organized with these keys-
Use a sticker, preferably a waterproof one, because it lasts longer. Then number all the cabinets and drawers in your office. Next would be to find all the keys for the respective drawers or cabinets and number them. Remember that the number for the particular cabinet or drawer and their corresponding key should be the same.
Once both the stickers are put, you can start assembling your keys in a bunch. For example, if there are five cabinets in your office with four drawers each, you can take five key chains and put together their respective keys. Cabinet A can have keys 1-4 or may be name them as 1a-4a. In a similar fashion like earlier, put a tag on the cabinets too.
Use a key hanger or keep these bunch in your desk or even your bag or brief case, if you carry the filing cabinet keys home.
Here are some other tips for preventing the misplacement or loss of these keys-
- You can of course chose not to lock the cabinets and leave the keys in there, if nothing very important or secured is placed there.
- Always keep a duplicate for the same. You can number the keys in the same way, like you did with the originals to save your time. You can keep a copy at either work or home, depending upon your convenience.
- If your keys already come with numbers then you can simply use the same codes for filing or naming the cabinets per say.
- Though you have duplicates at hand, it makes sense to keep a number of a locksmith handy for emergencies.
- Having a place to hang or put these keys like a bowl or a hanger makes sense because you simply avoid putting your filing cabinet keys here and there, thus minimizing the chances of losing them or misplacing them in the first place.
Mike Warner is a professional and informative content writer. I love to write blog on various topics, like: home improvement, locksmiths, automotive, travel, pet, health etc. Click here and find more information about filing cabinet keys.