Electricity is something that we take for granted, but we shouldn’t. As useful and life-saving it is, it’s equally risky and life-endangering. We can barely function without the use of electricity. Every (well, almost!) aspect of our lives and the things we use has electricity in it. It basically improves the comfort and convenience in our existence. It’s found in homes, workplaces, outdoor and basically everywhere that eyes can reach.
But in spite of this integral role that electricity plays in our lives, we tend to take it for granted. Most of us neglect the need to handle it properly or maintain it regularly. And this can prove to be a huge mistake. But thanks to electrical service professionals, even the gravest of situations can be brought under control. So, in case of any electricity related issues, you can contact any Sydney based electrical service. ElectroSpark Electrical Services offer you licensed and professional electricians in Sydney, who cater to any electrical breakdown situations in the household, commercial or industrial sectors. They can help you fit, repair, or maintain any electrical needs and are available on call 24/7.
Tips to prevent electrical accidents from taking place
So, as electricity has much utility and functionality in our everyday lives, it’s equally crucial to keep a check on the regular maintenance and handling of it. You can call for a northern beaches electrician to help you out in case of electrical breakdowns. But, as we know, prevention is better than cure! So, here are some tips that you and the people around you can follow, to avoid any electrical mishaps. It’s a good idea to write these pointers and stick them in a common area for everyone to see and remember.
- Keep appliances switched off when not in use: When any electrical appliances are not in use, ensure to turn them off. Even simplest things like switching off mobile phone chargers or unplugging of hair straighteners etc. can enhance the electrical safety in your homes. Do these on a routine basis and conduct all these checks whenever you leave home.
- Sockets shouldn’t be overloaded: This is one of the most important rules to follow. Avoid using multiple extension cords and dual plugs, because, these overload the sockets. The thumb rule is to use only a single plug in a single socket. If you are at all using an extension cord, make sure that it has a trip mechanism so that it gets turned off automatically in case of an overload.
- Daily Maintenance: Also, it very important that you conduct regular, routine checks of all the electrical fittings and fixtures at your place. These include sockets, cords, plugs etc. You should be on the lookout for signs of any damage of electrical wiring or burn marks present around plugs or sockets. If you notice any of these happening, hire the services of a skilled and certified electrician without further delay.
- Keep the wiring visible: Most of the times, the appliances are at a distance from the plug points, and we use our intelligent brains to hide the cords behind furniture or under carpets. But, this is actually one of the dumbest things to do. When wiring is out of sight, any potential problem or fault can easily go unnoticed. They are also tripping hazards, and the best alternative is to get new plug points installed near the device or appliance.
- Wires should be kept away from heat: It’s crucial to keep a check that unplugged cables or wires aren’t running anywhere near heat sources such as the stove or the oven. It’s very important to keep these away from heat so that they don’t catch fire. Also, make sure to keep all electrical appliances and cables away from water and excessive moisture sources. When in the kitchen or in the bathroom, handle these with utmost care and dry hands.
So, these were the main things that you need to keep a tab on, in case you want to avoid any electrical accidents from taking place. Make a checklist, stick it on a fridge, inform everyone to keep their ears and eyes open, and you will create an electrical-accident free safe zone.