Since the origin of civilization horses have been seen confidentially involved in human history with the signs of human’s four-legged friends. From plowing fields to moving goods and people and delivering messages, horses have stayed busy throughout in a wide range of fields. There are many horses that have been habituated with transportation from a very young age, even those that have never been transported before often readily allow themselves to be carried and restricted in a transport truck. But there is also a low quantity of horses that could be difficult to handle during transportation. You should use some tranquilizer for such horses by consulting a veterinary doctor because it can facilitate loading and the safe management of horses and transportation.
The transportation of horses must be done carefully. Such horses that are not being trained for transportation, can be difficult to handle sometimes. You must ensure that you are having the right equipment and horse moving vehicle before transporting the horse. There are some people who do not take their horses and transportation sensibly, because they do not know about the things which are required to reduce the stress level of horses before traveling. If your horse is willing to travel into the transport vehicle, even then he will experience a certain level of stress every time before traveling. According to a number of reports indicating psychological signs of stress such as elevated heart rate and increased cortisol production in horses that are being used in transportation.
Everyone should be well aware of travel stressors and especially the steps that are needed to be taken in order to minimize the stress level of horses so that they can arrive in good condition after traveling in a range of climatic conditions. Here are some tips for horses and transportation with the help of which you can reduce the stress of transport before travel.
- Before traveling, you should make sure your prevention health program, especially vaccinations must be up to date as it takes two to three weeks to provide protection.
- You must train your horse to load or unload quietly. This thing will significantly reduce the levels of stress right from the start of travel.
- Plan your route in a way that the distance gets minimized along with extremes in environmental temperatures.
- For crossing borders or state lines, you must have a proper health record for all regulatory requirements.
- Choose the transport vehicle very wisely depending upon the size of your horse and its temperament. You should choose the one that allows the horses to lower their heads.
- Make a safety check of the transport truck before traveling.
- Sanitize the transport truck and inspect it carefully before loading the horse into the truck.
- The floor of the vehicle should not be slippery for the entire journey. The absorbent bedding should be provided to help soak up all the urine and manure.
- There should be adequate ventilation in the transport truck.
- Try to avoid prolonged stationary periods at refueling stations or in traffic because a trailer can become warmer from inside than the outside.
- The transport vehicle should have a well-fitting halter, leather is an ideal material for it.
- While the transportation of horses, you should bring a sufficient amount of water and feed along.
- Must have an effective means of restraint.
- Veterinary assistance must be available during the transport, if necessary.
- Try to offer water every four hours or every three to four hours in hot weather and try to clean up all the urine and manure at the same time.
- You should plan properly for the rest or recovery periods.