As monsoon or cold wind starts, some people are attacked by cold and flu. Throat lozenges manufacturers bring homemade recipe of cough drops to treat this seasonal problem. Though there are several medications available in the market for common cold and flu, still this post is for all of you who prefer natural cures over allopathic treatment.
Cough syrups are not the only remedy to treat sore throat and these syrups make you feel sleepy when you consume them. Instead of these syrups, you can use cough drops made with natural herbal ingredients to soothe your sore throat. You can either purchase these cough drops from medicinal store or you can even make these cough drops at home with simple ingredients and tools.
Let’s learn how to make cough drops at home-
Ingredients needed for the ginger honey cough drop:
- 1.5” segment of fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup superfine sugar (for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Collect your supplies – For this recipe, you will need the following things-
- Paring knife
- Candy Thermometer
- Candy molds
- Airtight storage container
- Prepare the spices and lemon zest
- Peel the ginger – ginger is available in most vegetable store. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is usually used in cough remedies.
- Cut the ginger into thinner slices using a paring knife
- Use a zester to avail at least 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Place the ginger slices, cinnamon sticks and water in the saucepan and bring it to boil
Once the water comes to a full boil, you should lower the flame.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes
Sieve the water after simmering. Collect the water in clean saucepan.
- Add 1.5 cups of sugar and ½ honey to the sieved liquid
Bring this mixture to a boil on high flame. Stir it constantly. Wait until sugar completely gets dissolved. Use a candy thermometer to get right temperature for making hard-crack candies.
- Monitor heat with the thermometer and closely watch the temperature of the mixture to avoid burning onto the saucepan. 300-305 degrees Fahrenheit temperature is generally considered for making cough drops.
7. Once the temperature reaches to 300-305 degrees Fahrenheit, add the final ingredients and let the mixture cool down in greased candy molds.
8.Once the mixture gets cool down, it will get hard and you will get your homemade cough drops.
Store them in air tight jar and use them as needed. Don’t forget to share your experience with throat lozenges manufacturers, who have shared this useful post with you.