Speech therapist believes that parents have a very positive impact on their kid’s communication development. Today parents not only take their child to the speech-language pathologist but they can also get training in understanding speech and language disorders. There are many parent-implemented training programs where they can successfully learn all the strategies. These strategies parents can implement while playing or feeding their children. Therefore, toddlers and young adults with autism, different development delays, speech, and language disorder show better progress with there took in their speech therapy sessions. There are many ways in which parents influence their kid at home. Here are few tips on speech therapy at home which a parent can use in speech and language development of their child.
Tips on Speech Therapy at home
- Try to break each type of skill into smaller pieces and those skills to your child. If you want to teach “M” sound to your kid then use that sound in words like “Mom”, “Mug” etc.
- Emphasize important words while framing a sentence for eg- “You want an Apple!”
- Interact with your baby in “child-directed speech”. Use those words in which he/she show maximum interest. Use very simple speech while talking to him.
- Teach him how to follow multi-step directions. Firstly show him picture cues such as “come here”, “sit down”, stand up”. And slowly teach him three-step directions.
- Take part in different speech therapy exercises with your child like playing flash cards, mirror exercises, Stoplight speech etc.
- Play different games with your kid like tongue twisters, turtle race, moving beans and marbles etc.
- Expand the sentences of your child for eg:- if your kid says “tea”, ask him do you want tea?
- Teach him how to ask questions. Keep his toys out of his reach then if he wants those toys, he needs to ask you to give that toy to him.
- Respond to your kid’ attempts to communicate by praising him. This will boost your child confidence.
Do follow all these tips with your child at home and you with notice yourself the improvement in his communication skills.