UPCOMING IMMIGRATION CHANGES 2020
IMPORTANT UPDATE: NSW immigration will begin accepting for NSW nomination for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) on Monday 15 June 2020 and will stop accepting applications at 5 pm Friday 26 June 2020. Please see here for more information.
Are you prepared for the Australian Immigration changes in 2020? Many changes were introduced to the Australian Skilled (GSM) , Employer Sponsored visas (ENS) and Family Visa Program last year. We look at what is planned for 2020 in Australian Immigration.
COVID-19 (Novel coronavirus) has affected both for Australian visa holders and those who are waiting to be issued their Australian visas. Please see all updates here. To see the Latest COVID-19 concessions for Australian visas see here.
Australian Associated Press published an article which included the following: Migrants allowed to live and work in Australia if the invest at least $1.5 million could soon need to spend more money. The Morrison government is looking at increasing the investment thresholds for business innovation and investment visas. Encouraging more investment in regional areas will be a key priority. The government is also looking to “streamline” the program, which currently includes three visas and nine visa streams.
The Australian government announced 2 new regional visas and made changes to the points test.
The two new regional (provisional) visas are:
- Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa: The new 491 visa, Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) subclass 491 visa will enable eligible skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years. Visa holders will be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residence visa after three years. Applicants for this visa must be nominated by:
- Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored: Substituted the 187 (RSMS) visa and commenced November 16, 2019 the 494 visa has 10,000 places allocated per year. It requires employer sponsorship and the position must be likely to exist for 5 years. It has a 45 year age limit (exemptions apply), competent English, RCB advice and must meet the AMSR. Visa applicants must have a suitable skills assessment (on the 494 occupations list) and at least 3 years’ skilled employment.
- Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional): To meet the requirements of the permanent visa (from November 2022) applicants must have held a subclass 491 or 494 visa for at least 3 years, have complied with the conditions on that visa and have met minimum taxable income requirements.
Extra 1 or 2 year visa for international graduates from regional institutions
The Department of Home Affairs has announced a new initiative for an additional Temporary Graduate visa with an extra one or two year of post-study work rights for international students who:
- graduate from the regional campus of a registered university or institution with a higher education or postgraduate qualification; and
- maintain ongoing residence in a regional area while holding their first Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa
The second Temporary Graduate visa will require ongoing residence in a regional area.
The definition of regional Australia for this purpose will be the same as the definition for skilled migration – all of Australia excluding Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Important change: Perth and Gold Coast are classified as regional areas.
Skilled Occupations List eligible for Australian immigration and visas for 2020 (updated on 18 June 2020)
The table below shows the current occupations eligible for particular visa types. You can either choose your visa type below to see whether your occupation falls within a certain visa or Ctrl +F and search the list below that indicates which occupations are eligible for particular visa types. For the latest updates on COVID-19 (coronavirus) and how it is affecting different visas see here. For the pending Skilled Migration Occupation Lists Review see here (flagged occupations).
- Skilled visa
- Employer Sponsored Visas
- TSS 482 Visa
- Training visa