As the pool service experts, we’re often called in to help treat cloudy water and it can range from slightly hazy to being unable to see the bottom of the pool. Not only does it look pretty unappealing, it also means that action needs to be taken to ensure that the water is safe to swim in. But what’s making the water cloudy in the first place? Let’s take a look at possible causes.
Reasons for cloudy pool water
If you’re wondering why your water has suddenly become cloudy, there could be a number of causes. These include:
- Environmental factors – Your pool is exposed to a number of environmental factors which can causes cloudy water. These include bird dropping, leaf debris and run off from the garden.
- Chemical imbalance – If the chemicals in your pool are out of balance, this can lead to cloudy water. The pH of your pool needs to be between 7.2 and 7.6 and water which is too alkaline can cause problems.
- Poor filtration – A clogged or inefficient filtration system is another cause for cloudy water. This could be from damaged pool equipment, clogged skimmer basket or insufficient filtration time.
- Algae bloom – Cloudy water could indicate the start of an algae bloom. You’ll know pretty quickly if it’s algae because the water will turn green! Algae infestations can be caused by issues like sunlight, heavy pool use, lack of filtration and unbalanced water.
How to fix cloudy pool water
If your water is looking cloudy, this could mean high bacteria levels and unsafe swimming conditions which is why you need to get it in check. There are a number of ways to fix cloudy pool water depending on what the cause is. Just some of the steps you can take to clear cloudy water are:
- Check that your filtration system is running efficiently
- Clean your cartridge filter or backwash your sand filter
- Make sure your pump is running for at least eight hours each day
- Give your pool a proper clean by scrubbing down the sides and vacuuming the bottom
- Test your water to ensure your pH is balanced and your chlorine levels are sufficient
- Use pool water clarifier to help your filter collect debris
Expert pool servicing
Pool Assist are a professional pool cleaning service offering maintenance and repairs across the Perth metro area. Whether you’re having issues with your water, struggling with inefficient pool equipment or just want a general service, our experienced team of technicians can help. We give you the right advice and professional service to ensure that you can enjoy your pool.
For a ‘pool service near me’, you can call on the expertise of the team at Pool Assist. Contact us today on 1300 62 82 62.