Web design matters. Outdated website designs will not cause users to turn away from your website, and not stay to explore it. 38% of users will exit a website if it has an unappealing layout and poorly curated content. 59% of users from around the world prefer to engage with a beautifully-designed website instead of a simple one.
Users want to interact with a website that allows them to navigate different pages with ease. Even though the emphasis is on creating an attractive website design, do not create a complex design that will make it difficult for your users to find other pages of your website.
Since you do not want to risk making any mistakes that could jeopardise your chances of earning a spot in the search engine results page and lose out on potential customers, you need to hire a Web Design Agency to incorporate the top tips and best website design practices into your website.
The following is a list of tips and best practices a web design agency will make you aware of when creating your website either from scratch or revamping it:
Inconsistent website design can confuse and stress users. Users should be able to identify the colours and logo of your brand. You need to position them on your website in a certain manner.
A website design agency will use predetermined colours, logos, words and phrases, iconography, images, videos, and typography. Your website design should communicate the story of your brand with each element supporting it.
Strong Call-to-Actions (CTAs)
You want to attract a large target audience and tell your customers about the different types of services and products you offer. You want the visitor to download a case study, sign up for a newsletter, or schedule a consultation.
Therefore, your call to action needs to be strong. Your website designer will make your CTA part of your website design. For instance, they will place “Learn More” higher in the website design and “Contact Us” at the bottom of the website design.
Fast Loading Pages
Visitors have high expectations for websites. They want websites to load in less than two seconds and if the website takes even one second longer, they are likely to exit the website. Here are some tips you can use to decrease the loading time of websites:
- Implement new image formats to reduce image size. Save bandwidth by switching between different image sizes and image quality. Doing this will reduce the weight of the images by 20% to 50% without compromising quality.
- Browser caching. Caching increasing the loading speed of a page and decreases serve lag. When a visitor visits a page of your website, it will bring up the cached version of the page unless it was changed or modified. This increases the loading speed of your website because it reduces the number of requests your server gets.
- Examine the plugins. Plugins increase the functionality of your website and add new features to it. However, the more plugins you add to your website, the harder it has to work to load.
- Activate HTTP keep-alive response headers. HTTP requests grab and send one file and then close it. However, this process is not fast. HTTP keep-alive is faster because it enables the web browser and server to agree to utilise one connection to grab and send more than one file.
- Allow compression. Compress resources, such as images to decrease the number of bytes a certain page sends over a network. It is essential to optimise your content for compression by ensuring there is consistency across your CSS and HTML code.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
There is a chance that the Web Design Agency you hire may offer you SEO services. Incorporating SEO into your website design is important. Proper and effective SEO can increase your search engine rankings on Google and other search engines, which in return, can increase the number of visitors that visit your website.
Some ways to do that include having compelling content on your website and keywords or phrases throughout your website. On-page SEO meta tags and elements will come into play here. These also include XML sitemaps and schema.
Your website designer can incorporate SEO into your website design from the start and if you already have a website, they can assess your website to see if it is optimised for SEO. If not, they will incorporate SEO into the website redesign.
Mobile-friendly, Responsive Website Design
You need to create a mobile-friendly, responsive website design that users can view on all their digital devices. A responsive website design enables your website to accommodate the display screen of smartphones, handheld tablets, desktop computers, laptops, and more.
Just ask yourself — what digital device do you use to search for products, services, and information? Most probably, you will say that you use your mobile phone. If your website is not mobile-friendly, users will be less likely to purchase anything from you because to do that, they will need to use their desktop computer, which will be inconvenient and be a factor in changing their mind.
Easy to Navigate
You need to ensure users will not have to struggle too much to explore your website. On your part, you need to ensure that the most important pages of your website can be easily accessed. Here are a few website design practices that you may consider using:
- The navigation menu should have only 4 to 6 options. You will find the navigation menu in the header above each page with a standard horizontal top-level navigation menu.
- Have a search bar. This is especially true for websites that have a lot of content.
- Place contact information on the right-hand corner of your website, ensuring it is easily visible to your visitors.
- Add sticky back to top buttons for visitors who want to scroll down with a click of a button to bring them back up without having to scroll up and down manually.
Social Media Platforms
Create a social media account for your business on various social media platforms. You need to have a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other relevant social media networking websites you think will help boost your business’s presence online and attract users to your website.
Social media buttons will cost you traffic, as it will direct users away from your website. For this reason, your website designer will place the social media buttons at the footer of your website. Before visitors come across your social media buttons, they would have already explored your website.
You can interact with visitors on your social media accounts and direct them to your website to increase traffic. You should promote your website on these social media platforms because that is another way to direct traffic to your website.
Your website should represent the personality of your brand. Therefore, the colours you choose should communicate the same message about your brand to visitors.
The background and text colours of your website need to provide enough contrast because if they do not, your website visitors will have a difficult time reading the content of your website and will likely leave your website due to it being visually unappealing.
If you have a visually appealing website creating using complementing colours, visitors will be more likely to recall your website, products, and services.
Upload High-Quality Images
You need to create a visually appealing website for your visitors. Most people are visual learners, which is why the emphasis on creating a website featuring pictures and logos will appeal more to them. You can discuss with your website designer where you should place them on your website. Here are the main advantages you will receive by adding high-quality images to your website:
- Your website will receive more views, which increases the chances of a visitor converting into a paying customer.
- It will increase user engagement, which means more users will spend more time on your website.
- It will decrease the bounce rate, which means increased traffic and a higher search engine rank.
- Forms a link between customer and brand, which means a higher chance of users choosing your services and buying your products.
You can get in touch with a web design agency in Melbourne to design your website. Their website designers will have the experience and knowledge required to create a website design that attracts traffic and converts visitors into customers.