A locksmith is a specialized individual who works with locks on doors, windows, lockers, cars, etc. Locksmiths are trained to install, repair, and adjust locks, and they also offer emergency services to people who are locked out or individuals who want to check with someone about their security systems.
Types of locksmith services
The profession of a locksmith is no longer limited to unlocking and duplicating keys. Today, a professional locksmith offers a variety of services, which are often accessible through various service providers. Right from the repairing to the replacement of locks, an expert locksmith is the ultimate need of every home, especially in emergency situations. From home and car protection up to industrial security, there is a consistent locksmith service that will be of great help to any individual. Listed below are some of the common types of locksmith service that are being offered for customers.
- Residential or home locksmith: These types of locksmiths are of immense importance as these are one of the most common types.
- Office locksmith: These types of locksmiths are required for the official requirements such as unlocking the conference rooms, staffs, locker, drawers etc.
- Car locksmith: These types of locksmiths are required for unlocking or replacing a misplaced car key or a key of any other vehicle.
- In-house locksmith: These types of locksmiths are found in hospitals, large multinational companies, schools, and prisons. Even certain insurance companies and automotive companies employ the in-house locksmiths.
In addition, the locksmiths are experts in getting older locks that have been shut permanently or in opening lockers that have been shut forever. Some locksmiths are experts in electronic security systems which are usually required in the large scale companies.
Reasons for calling a locksmith
- A locksmith is called to unlock the door that has been locked all of a sudden.
- A locksmith is called to issue a new key as the existing one has been misplaced or lost.
- A locksmith is called to fix the broken locks for safety reasons.
- A locksmith is called when a tenant has handed over the key to the owners after they have moved out.
- A locksmith is called for any emergency situation as they are available 24*7, including the weekends and statutory holidays.
As these conditions can be especially difficult for women, people with special needs and senior citizens and even small children, therefore, the locksmiths are called. There are also many mobile locksmiths who work all round the year and they are found roaming from one part of the city to another.
Various tools used by the locksmiths
The locksmith requires a large number of tools and instruments to work effectively and efficiently.
Some of the tools that they usually use are listed below:
- Lock picks
- Key gauge
- Locksmith hammer
- Nylon pry-bay
- Automobile door panel removal set
- Plug spinner
- Broker key extraction kit
- Lock disassembly and re-keying tool kit
- Depth and space keys
- Tubular lock pick
- Metal stamp kit
- Key check
A trained locksmith knows which tool should be used when; however, an amateur may not know the correct use of the tools which can result in serious damage to the locks. However, the tools used by a car locksmith vary from that of an industrial or a residential locksmith. There are different new designs of locks and techniques that are used today, and a professional and expert locksmith must know how to deal with the latest trends and designs in locks.
However, when you hire a locksmith from the online portals, then it is important to check the reviews and the customer testimonials before you start calling in the numbers.