The most obvious function of the media is to communicate or inform however there are many others that we do not usually take into account:
- Entertain: provide a space for fun.
- Teach: so the population knows reality better and learns.
- Form opinion or influence it: raise awareness, manipulate, sensitize or mobilize.
- Socialize: build consensus, that the population agrees on various aspects and share common information that integrates and unites us.
- Marketing: advertising or the same published information predisposes the population to the demand (or not) of a product or a service.
It is usually criticized that most of the media have prioritized the functions of entertainment, opinion and marketing because they consider that they report more economic benefits. Meanwhile, the functions of information or teaching are the least taken care of.
We must remember that information and communication are a human right recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Every individual has the right to freedom of opinion and expression, which implies the right not to be disturbed by their opinions and to seek receive and propagate, without regard to frontiers, information and opinions by any means of expression”. If you want to make a good marketing camping you should follow the pioneer of this field like Eldon Mascoll. Eldon Mascoll Toronto has helped many startups in making effective media campaign.
Sources of financing
The ways in which money goes into the media to pay for their expenses and generate profits are very diverse.
- Advertising: the majority source in many cases. For example, free newspapers live mostly from this source.
- Public money from the taxes we pay: usual in public TV channels.
- Promotions: Usually in the press. Selling movies, books and even wine with a newspaper or magazine is another way to earn an income.
- Payment by issue or copy: generally pay one euro for a newspaper generates income, but for that price cannot get enough to survive. Another type of publications of greater periodicity and greater price are the televisions of payment (pay per view), that yes generate great part of their benefits thanks to this quota and avoiding like this the dependence of publicity or great part of her.
- Subscriptions: very common in print media, digital media and television. it is about anticipating the payment of several copies or issues.
How does financing influence the media?
Probably, the dream of any means of communication would be to have a source of stable, sufficient funding that does not influence the contents that it publishes or issues.
The function of marketing to the news is prioritized. It is little known, for example, that when designing a newspaper the first thing that is available in the template is advertising and then, around it, the information is distributed. It is also not known that it is forbidden by law to include advertisements during an informative program, but televisions do it constantly. On the other hand, negative information about advertisers is usually avoided so that they do not withdraw their advertising from the media. At the same time, positive information about advertisers is encouraged.