Bio-impedance analysis (BIA) is a method for body fat screening and is considered as the most accessible and reliable. It is also an integral part of nutrition and health assessment. In fact Bio-impedance analysis is a great tool available for measuring the composition of the body in relation to lean body mass.
BIA analysis is a very simple electronic test which gives essential information about the body. The results from the BIA include information such as:
1. It gives exact fat mass assessment and is very useful in programs for weight loss.
2. Muscle mass indication.
3. Fluid amount outside and inside cells.
4. Vitality indication.
5. Biological age indication.
Working of bio-impedance?
BIA is a quick and painless method for body fat screening. This procedure takes a few minutes for its completion as it is a type of computerized analysis . Bio-impedance analyzers consist of electrodes which are used for taking body measurements. It includes connecting a battery operated device to foot and hand for measuring electrical capacitance and resistance. The bio-impedance analyzer calculates compartments of body fluid and tissues by passing electrical current via devices connected to the foot and hands. It is found that lean tissues are good conductors of current and consists of 70 percent water. The resistance measured with analyzer calculates body composition.
- In general optimal fat in women is around 15 to 25 percent while it is 10 to 20 percent in men.
- As the method is computerized it do not cost any pain to the patient.
- BIA Procedure of testing:
- Giving Sauna to subjects within eight hours of the study.
- Refraining of the subject from intake of alcohol before almost 12 hours before the study.
- Accurate measurement of weight and height of the subject.
- Corporation of subject during whole testing procedure.
- Cleaning of sites with alcohol where the electrodes will be placed in case of dry skin.
- Attachment of patient and electrode cables according to the illustration.
What are the benefits of BIA?
BIA is very commonly used by doctors and is very helpful to those who are willing to:
• Build muscles
• Increase or reduce weight
• Enhance energy levels
• Effective detoxification
• Improve health
BIA helps to check progress of health improvement. Improvement in BIA health measurement keeps proper body functioning with decreased risk of illness and healthy aging. The results of BIA help doctor to recommend a nutritional supplement dietary plan and exercises for a best possible health for a long duration.
What are the disadvantages related to BIA:
- Expensive technology used.
- Requirement of well controlled conditions for reliable and accurate measurement.
- Cannot be used by persons using a pacemaker.
- Over estimation of weight in dehydrated person.
There are many websites available giving technical information about BIA. They even offer information on several research based on BIA which provides information on the accuracy of BIA equations which are used for calculating body mass which is fat-free. There are several BIA equations which are used by researchers as per their understanding and research requirement.