Retail Ready Packaging or RRP is a form of packing that can be taken from a shipping container and conveniently transferred to the shelf with very little unpacking. Basically, it is a secondary packing that is branded to be able to move to retail shelves in a quick “one-touch” movement. To self-contain individually packed products, RRP should be intentionally designed. It eliminates the need for stock workers to unpack or display each product individually.
Big box retailers like Walmart or Kroger can gain a huge advantage from this system. This is because it significantly reduces the cost of labor. Changes in the market are forcing the manufacturers to realise the importance of RRP. The speed in which the products can get to shelves has become all the more important as larger chains have begun to open smaller or neighborhood stores with fewer employees.
Some of the key features of an effective RRP system:
1. Better Identification of Product and Brand Information: The product becomes easier to find in the warehouse as well as on the shelves. The front panel of the RRP should have a crystal clear text and graphic information like branding, product name, etc.
2. Easy to Open: An effective system must not need additional tools like box cutters. It must be easily opened in stores. It should have clear opening instructions and easy tear-offs.
3. Easier Stocking of Cases on the Shelves: This system is designed to be easy to stock on to shelves and minimize the time and physical effort for employees in the store.
4. Easy to Dispose of and Disassemble After Use: Minimal amount of time and storage shall be required to dispose and breakdown this system. Also, it must be recyclable or reusable. This ensures a reduction in wastage during the packing process.
BENEFITS OF RRP TO BRANDS
Numerous benefits can be availed by using this system of packing. Here are some of the major ones:
1. Holistic Thinking
Primary packing design can have a drastic impact on secondary packing. Brands can significantly avoid costs in terms of product damage by considering how the product will hold up throughout its journey i.e. from the warehouse to shelves.
2. Reduces Wastage
Retail ready packaging has allowed brands to spend less on the material in the first place. Retailers spend less time and money when disposing the material at the end of the product lifecycle.
3. Avoiding Stock-Outs
This system effectively facilitates easy and quick loading of products. This results in avoiding stock-outs for brands. Also, as more and more products are being displayed on the shelves for a longer time, it leads to more exposure for the brand as well. Further, this leads to higher sales.
4. Better Product Presentation
Due to this system, products don’t lose their aesthetic identity. This is because the designing of products is done in such a way so as to make it more sturdy and stackable.
It is high time for you to leverage this opportunity if you haven’t already considered changing up your packing design. Using RRP can not only enhance product visibility but also significantly help you increase sales.