They say you are what you eat, so if you choose to eat healthy food, then you will of course be healthy. Certain foods can help you boost your immune system and thus help you prevent cold and flu. So, since it is again that time of the year when cold and flu are at the highest rate, keep on reading to find out what you need to eat to fight cold and flu and thus stay healthy.
- Fish – Oily fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, that actually help reduce harmful inflammation in the body. And chronic inflammation is the number one reason for your immune system not to work properly and thus contribute to flu and cold.
- Garlic – Garlic is rich in allicin, a sulfuric compound that produces antioxidants when it decomposes. It is known to contain the biggest antioxidant punch when eaten raw, so don’t mind the strong flavor, because it will make you stay healthy for sure.
- Citrus fruit – Citrus fruit such as orange, lemons and limes are rich in vitamin C which is definitely needed to prevent any cold or flu. So, don’t think twice on taking the vitamin at the the first sign of illness to reduce it faster.
- Probiotic foods – Yogurt and kefir are the best probiotic foods to help you replenish beneficial strains of bacteria and thus promote digestive health. Probiotics can also lower the risk of upper respiratory tract infections.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants. The richer the content of cocoa the better, so make sure you choose a dark chocolate with at least 70% of cocoa content.
- Oats – Oats can also help you boost your immune system as well as lower your cholesterol, since they contain fiber known as beta-glucan. And you can eat them in a bowl or a bar.
- Tea – When you feel the first symptoms of cold and flu, there is nothing better you can do then warm yourself up with a cup of tea. It will help you break up chest congestion and will also soothe your sore throat.
- Honey – Honey contains antimicrobial compounds and as such has antibacterial effects as well as stimulates the immune system. It will help you for sure if you have sore throat caused by a bacterial infection.
The above foods can definitely help you fight cold and flu. Make sure you also take the needed rest as well as drink enough water and other fluids to prevent your body from being dehydrated.