Are you going to propose with a ring in a champagne glass? Or are you going to get down on one knee and pour your heart out? Frankly, it does not matter how you ask the woman of your dreams to marry you. But the ring may matter: and it may matter big. So here comes the question of how to choose the best metal for your ring.
The answer is pretty simple: it will all depend on your own wants and needs. For one couple a white gold diamond ring is what brings happiness. For another one, platinum is better. But you might want to do a bit of digging and research to find out the answer. Here is what you need to know before making a decision. So let’s dive in.
ALL ABOUT WHITE GOLD
Neal Stephenson said, “Gold is the corpse of value.” And we all know it: gold is an amazing metal and will always be. In fact, even ancient Egyptians and Incas knew it. Gold is easy to work with and it does not tarnish. And if you are not looking forward to getting a green patina, gold is your answer.
Now let’s get into some details. 24K gold is too soft: it is not a great idea to use it for jewelry. However, if you combine it with a couple of other metals it will be perfect for the tortures of everyday life.
What about 14K gold? Does not matter yellow or white, it is an alloy of 58% gold. The other 42% are other metals. If you are choosing a 18K gold, you should know that it is 75% gold. And you already got it: the other 25% are other metals. With the hard work and talent of the jeweler, depending on the proportions of alloys used, the color of your gold can change.
If you are looking for a white color, then you should know, that it is achieved by combining gold, palladium and silver. And you can also get the color by joining gold, nickel, copper and zinc.
ALL ABOUT PLATINUM
Your second choice is platinum. Now platinum does not tarnish, rust, corrode or change its color as time passes. And we all know that it is an awesome metal for making jewelry, just like gold.
DEPENDING ON THE KARAT
Platinum is 40% to 60% heavier than gold (depending on the karat weight of the gold). It’s dense, malleable, (moves easily) and at the same time, very strong.
Just because it’s strong, though, doesn’t mean it won’t scratch. It will. Without a doubt. A platinum ring will develop a dulled finish after a while due to all the tiny dent marks it gets from coming into contact with hard surfaces. This is discussed more in the maintenance section later in this article.
Unlike karat gold, platinum is normally not alloyed with more than 10% other metals, making it fairly hypoallergenic. More about platinum.
Platinum has a higher melting point than gold (3,215°F as opposed to 1,948°F) and can be harder to work with. Normally your jeweler uses a separate set of tools when working with platinum, as well as different gases to achieve the required temperature.
While deciding between purchasing a platinum or gold ring, consider these four points that will make your options more clear. They will help you choose the wiser alternative to invest in as it is something you will see every time you look down at your hand.
The main factor that makes platinum and gold different is their color. Platinum is naturally white, while gold is naturally yellow. So, it comes down to taste when deciding between the physical features of the ring.
You can also add another alternative option which is white gold. White gold rings are composed of gold, alloys, and a rhodium plating which gives it a white look that’s very similar to platinum. However, white gold has a habit of fading away as the rhodium plating wears off. In contrast, platinum, will not fade to yellow because it is naturally white.
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY
Gold and platinum are similar in price per gram, however, platinum is more dense and so more of it is required to make a ring. Additionally, platinum rings are usually 95% pure platinum, while 14k gold is only 58.5% gold (18k gold is 75% gold). Therefore, platinum rings turn out to be more expensive. Are you ready to spend a fortune or are you ready to spend more? It’s a choice you make.
Although both gold and platinum are strong and durable precious metals, platinum is considered to be the stronger and more durable option between the two. For example, the prongs of a platinum engagement ring holding the center stone are less likely to break than those of a gold engagement ring.
Despite being stronger and more durable, platinum is a softer metal than 14k gold. So, it will get scratched a little easier than 14k gold would. However, when platinum is scratched, the platinum gets moved from one place on the ring to another, and it develops something called a patina finish (which looks like an antique or worn ring), while when gold is scratched, the gold is lost and it looks like a scratch.
Platinum will always stay white but white gold needs occasional re-polishing and re-plating to avoid a yellow hue, which usually appears several months to several years after polishings, depending on how much wear and tear the ring faces.
VALUE YOUR COMFORT
Platinum rings are usually heavier than gold rings as they are more dense. Again, it comes down to every individual to choose which they prefer; do they want the ring to feel invisible or do they want to feel the weight of it on their finger?
Another benefit of platinum is that it is hypoallergenic. While most people won’t have an allergy issue with gold rings, some can develop an allergic reaction from the nickel alloy used in gold rings
Overall, from the financial side of things, platinum is more expensive than gold, so if you have the budget for it, go for platinum. Do you want it to feel heavy or light on your finger? Platinum is heavier and more dense, while gold is light on the finger. From the perspective of durability, platinum is the way to go. However, it all comes down to personal taste and preference. The biggest choice is what color is more attractive to you. If white – then buy that platinum ring, if yellow – then gold all the way.