The longevity of plant life is the ultimate motive of the florists. They are in love with flowers, plants and therefore, they take every step necessary to protect a plant from decaying. Many techniques are used to increase the life of a plant. Cutting stems of plants and flowers at a 45 degree angle is one of them.
Slicing the stems of the plants and flowers at an angle of 45 degree is absolutely necessary in order to keep flowers and plants alive and healthy for the longest possible duration. Plants are living beings and they too need proper nurture and care like humans. The best way to guarantee resilience in their life is by trimming their stem at an angle.
What are the benefits?
Sensible stem cutting ensures great benefits for both plants and flowers –
- Fresh air: Cutting the stems of the plants and flowers at an angle of 45 degree ensures that a plant has got more surface area to breathe or let air pass through them. Every living being requires an active source of fresh air and exposing more area of the plants to surroundings guarantees more air flow through them. It is one of the surest ways to guarantee extended plant life.
- Water: Florists in Brisbane know full well that a fresh cut in the stem opens up the veins of the plant and helps it to absorb more ground water. In addition, cutting of stem at an angle allows the plant to stand more firmly on the surface, enabling regular water inflow from the base in the pot. It is also observed the world over that a properly cut flower stem ensures longer vase life
- Ripened portions: At times, the ripened parts of stem affect the color of flowers and other parts of the plant. It is therefore recommended by experienced florists in Brisbane that such over-matured portions should be trimmed regularly in order to make certain that the plant grows healthy. In addition, these ripened parts give rise to fungi and bacteria that can spread diseases in the plant body and make its survival hard.
- Growth: Regular stem cutting at an angle of 45 degree also ensures that the plant attains faster growth. It helps in development of a strong and straight stem.
- Nutrients: Not only do plants and flowers get additional water supply through the exposed veins when their stem is cut at an angle but also make an easy passage for all the indispensable nutrients.
For all the above mentioned reasons, it is very imperative to cut stems of flowers and plants regularly. Although the result is very rosy for plants but high level of caution is also advised while cutting the stem. The stem should always be cut below the surface of lukewarm water and with a fresh knife. Along with it the cut stem should be placed away from the direct sunlight in a cool place for some time. Right stem cutting can bear you splendid results and the method is worth trying once.