Internet of things (IoT) makes the idea of smart parking possible by connecting with various devices in the network with the internet, analysis of the data being transmitted and automating all the data that has been gathered. It brings diverse information together and provides the common language of devices and apps to communicate with each other.
There are no such boundary constraints of IoT technology. Some smart applications that draw its benefits from IoT are smart grids, smart energy, smart lighting, smart city, smart health etc.
Smart Parking System – What are these?
Cameras mounted on light-poles or top of buildings and sensors embedded in ground helps determine the availability of parking in the vicinity. As fishing for parking has become an everyday activity. The resultant data is then wirelessly routed to a gateway to a centrally located cloud-based smart parking platform. A parking map is created as the data from various sensors is combined.
Smart Parking sensors make use of real-time data and applications that come from low-cost sensors, to allow users to admonish the availability of various parking slots.
Smart Parking – Architecture and Components
- A centralized server to maintain all traffic database
- Raspberry pi as the microcontroller
- Image capture: Pi-camera to capture images
- A navigation system to signal the availability of parking slots
- A monitor or a tab as a display device to display the admin side of the interface
- A user device that allows the user to connect with smart parking system with help of their smartphones or with some browser
Smart Parking – Top Benefits That Every Parking Owner Must Know
The basic objective of smart parking is to save time in looking for optimal parking floor and remove congestion. A well-structured parking structure can benefit both parking owner and the car driver. Some of the top benefits are:
- Reduced Traffic
Smart Parking allows in increasing the flow of traffic, as traffic is diverted on demand and congestion is removed. Optimization of parking slots helps in making the city smarter and cleaner. A lot of time and efforts are saved.
- Reduced Pollution
A lot of fuel is burnt while you search for an appropriate place to park your vehicle. Presence of a smart parking solution will definitely help in reducing the parking time, saving a lot of fuel and thus reduce the amount of carbon emission.
- Enhanced User Experience
The entire user experience becomes seamless as searching location, finding a parking place, time notifications and driving the way along to destination becomes easy.
- Increased Safety
Employees and security guards get access to real-time data that can help prevent any kind of parking violations or suspicious activity within the parking lot. If such kind of spot searching is reduced on streets this would ultimately reduce the traffic congestion on roads which will help reduce accidents caused by the distraction of searching for parking.
- Integrated Payments and POS
Give returning customers an option to replacing cash payments with cards and enable customer loyalty programs to make them understand the importance of safe parking.
- New Revenue Streams
There is always an option of tiered parking and reward programs to enhance the frequency of repeat customers
- Increased Service and Brand Image
A seamless experience will definitely help in enhancing the image of a smart parking owner in eyes of the user. The availability of data in real-time can help lot owners make necessary improvements and adjustments to drivers.
Should IoT app developers look towards IoT application development?
Whether it is a movie theatre, a shopping mall, a corporate office or airport users of smart parking are surely going to be impressed by the sheer convenience and benefits of the smart parking system. This is surely going to be a great investment for any company, city or government.
IoT has embraced Mobile App Development in a way such that:
- It helps in reducing human effort by the interactivity of internet with devices
- The focus of apps has shifted from making it user-friendly to making the interaction between the app and smart devices more effective
- User data is encrypted so that user privacy is not hampered in any case
- A specialization in building an IoT app is estimated as an increasing number of IoT app developers are investing more time in improvising their apps to make them adaptable to IoT.