We all know that traffic rules bring driving discipline on the road, but have you ever thought what helps us to follow these traffic rules? Everyone will agree it’s difficult to discipline ourselves without directions or markings on the road.
Safety Line marking and direction marking is the most proficient way to regulate traffic at ease and avoid any road accidents. Line marking gives warning to drivers on-
- Any potential hazard ahead indicating them to slow down, stop or turn.
- Eliminates errors from parking in the wrong place or going the wrong way.
- Assign specific lanes for vehicles to keep the traffic moving such as lanes for buses, cars, and bicycles.
- Indicate drivers reasons to slow down the speed at specific points such as school zone, animal crossing etc
- Highly effective at residential complex, office and commercial buildings such as malls and cinema halls to indicate parking areas, direction lanes, fire zone and pedestrian zones.
Why it’s important
With the ever increasing vehicles on the road and the fast lifestyle that everyone lives in, safety line marking plays a key role in reducing road accidents. The new materials with anti-skid and reflective properties are put into use, especially on the highways brings down accidents by 50%
- Night time Accidents – the new and innovative audible edge markings on the side of the road, creates a specific sound when the tyre touch them, thereby ensuring drivers don’t fall asleep while driving at night.
- Wet Weather Accidents – During rains visibility reduces. The bright and reflective marking with anti-skid properties improves safety and gives direction to drivers.
Health and Safety Obligation
Having safety line marking is part of health and safety obligation that businesses need to provide at their office. For businesses which run factories such as warehouse and distribution centre, safety line marking becomes mandatory to clearly distinguish walkways for pedestrians and areas of vehicular movement and point out hazardous areas to avoid mishaps and collisions at workplace.
Materials and Techniques
Usually line marking has been applied using Hot Applied Thermoplastic with the help of screed, extrusion or spray. Today in modern times with the environmental concerns and budgets paints and resin based solution take precedence with following advantages
- Resin based markings are highly durable is considered to last 5times longer than the standard thermoplastic markings. This is also cost –effective option on busy areas and junctions where the traffic flow is constantly higher. These markings contribute to green movement as a thin single layer is sufficient and the material has a lower VOC (volatile organic compound) content than solvent-based paints. These markings are extensively found in car parks, school areas, and local roads.
- Paint Based markings are quick and commercial viable to apply and can be used to revitalize existing markings. Acrylic paints is often first choice here as it’s fast drying. The other paint is the solvent based paint which is less eco-friendly; thereby making acrylic paints the best pick.
While the traditional thermoplastic markings are still famous and widely used, the new methods have their own pros that are catching up with all businesses and service providers. It’s essential to know the project requirements before choosing the best method for safety line marking.